Protect Your Identity Online
How can I protect my identity online?
- Protect your computer and smartphone up-to-date security software. Be sure to have any operation systems updated as well as there are safeguards built into the updates.
- Learn the signals to be able to spot spam and scams. A popular scam is receiving an email that looks like it is from your bank, with the logo and they even know your name. There will be a link in the email that you should not click on ever.
- Make your passwords unique and strong. Do not use the same password for all your logins. Here is the best criteria to follow when creating a password:
- Over 10 characters long.
- Use an uppercase letter.
- Use a lower case letter.
- Make sure to use a special symbol - these can be found along the top row of a keyboard.
- No personal information in the password.
- Always enable 2 factor authentication when available, this has a secondary measure to notify you after a certain amount of times an incorrect password is entered.