What is SpyFly?
SpyFly is a public records and people search service that provides access to complete background checks. We provide you with the most recent and quality data available by aggregating billions of public records into a single, easy-to-use interface. SpyFly also offers personal protection, monitoring, and email alert tools to keep you and your loved ones safe. SpyFly is headquartered in Goleta, CA and has team members all over the United States. To learn more information about the detailed background reports, visit our Why SpyFly? page.
How is SpyFly different from the competition?
SpyFly's mission is to provide users with easy access to public records and other important information. In the past, access to such information required waiting and was difficult to receive. SpyFly makes it affordable and fast. Our service offers a 7-day trial opportunity, which allows you to test SpyFly for a week before deciding to continue membership. We also provide monitoring and email alerts based on areas you designate. SpyFly is an intuitive website that was designed to make navigating between services easy. See: Why SpyFly?
How do I know my personal information is secure?
Our website uses 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL). SSL encrypts your information during transmission processes and securely transfers your private and credit card information through cyberspace. The encryption prevents your information from being read.
Secure Transaction Indicators: If you are using a Firefox or Microsoft browser, you will see a small key or padlock in the bottom right corner of your browser window. The presence of the icon indicates that the transaction is secure. Another way you can tell when your credit card is unharmed is to identify the URL. An URL that begins with http:// is an indication that your personal information is being transmitted to a secure server.
What is the trial fee for?
This trial fee covers a 7-day, full-access trial. This provides the user with unlimited background checks for a full week, beginning from trial registration.
How much does the SpyFly service cost?
Will I get charged if I don't use the service?
Yes, your membership fees cover the costs of providing services to you. Whether you utilize the service or not, your account will be charged.
Note: SpyFly features are implemented the second you set them up. For example, the monthly monitoring of Registered Sex Offenders occurs automatically once monitoring areas has been determined. This way you do not have to login into the website to receive recent sex offender information. SpyFly will alert you if new sex offender activity has occurred in any of the four monitored areas you designated.
If the data you provide is "public record," why do I pay for it?
In the past, access to public records was difficult to attain. People had to endure the long process of visiting various government offices and local departments if they wanted to find information about someone's background. SpyFly does the heavy duty work for you by aggregating various public records into concise background reports. SpyFly members receive affordable, unlimited access to accurate and readily available public records. SpyFly's intuitive and formulated technology for aggregating high-quality reports speeds up the procedure and eliminates the "waiting game."
What do I do after I sign up?
Directly after you sign up, check the email account that you provided during your registration process to obtain your Registration Confirmation Email. This email will contain instructions with your login credentials and Customer ID.
What do I do if I didn't receive a Registration Confirmation Email?
Occasionally, your Registration Confirmation Email will end up in your Junk, Bulk, or Spam folders. Please check these locations if you are having trouble finding the email. If you have still have not found the email, contact our member support team as soon as possible at 1-800-831-9235 to verify your account information is correct. It is important that you keep your email address attached to your account up-to-date. To protect against spam filters, please confirm that [email protected] has been added to your spam filter or "safe senders" list.
How do I login into SpyFly?
In your Registration Confirmation Email you will be provided with your Username and Password. Both your Username and Password are needed to log into SpyFly. If you have any further questions or difficulties logging in please contact member support at 1-800-831-9235.
How do I cancel my membership?
To cancel your membership please call 1-800-831-9235 and a helpful representative will assist you with your cancellation. You can also cancel your account by logging in to your account and clicking on the "My Account" tab.
I recently moved. How do I change my contact information?
Log into your SpyFly account and click on the "My Account tab." There, you will be given the option to change your address and contact information. Another option is to contact member support at 1-800-831-9235. A representative will be happy to assist you.
How do I unsubscribe from your email list?
If you no longer wish to receive emails from SpyFly, click the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email you have received from us. You can also click the "Unsubscribe Your Email Address" which can be found at the bottom of SpyFly website. This request will be attended to immediately. Please note it may take up to ten business days for your email to be completely removed from our database. As an active SpyFly member, you will still receive account and billing notices.
I can't remember my password.
Please visit the SpyFly website and click on the "Member Login" link at the top of the page. You will be provided the option to retrieve your password. You may also contact our member support team at 1-800-831-9235 or email [email protected].
How Do I Check for Outstanding Local Warrants?
Anyone can check for an outstanding local warrant using the following steps
- You can check your local court’s website if you know the location or original county of the arrest.
- Go to the local court’s website.
- Type the name of the person (it is best if you know the full name) if the court website has a search feature.
- It is important to know as much information about the person you are searching for an outstanding warrant so that they can be properly identified in the public records when dealing with a specific court.
- If you can’t find this information, then a phone call to the local court directly will be necessary.
- Ask the court clerk if there is an outstanding warrant for the individual.
- Again, have as much information as possible about the individual, such as the individual’s birth date and any relevant case numbers or arrest records.
- If you do not have all this information or find the court difficult to work with you can easily use SpyFly’s Outstanding Warrant Search tool. This also may be less cumbersome than dealing with a local court and their public record systems. Additionally SpyFly will search
How Can I Find Criminal Records?
- You have a right to see your criminal record as this is considered public record information.
- This will include convictions, arrests, as well as outstanding warrants.
- A criminal record is a listing of a person’s criminal convictions and arrests. The information in criminal records varies by state and even from county to county.
- You are entitled to a copy of your own criminal record.
- It is important to know that each governmental agency in the US sets their own standards of what a criminal record will include.
- As a general guideline, criminal records contain basic information such as name, birth date, aliases, and height and weight.
- Some criminal records contain only convictions, but most will contain arrest records.
- You can request your criminal record from your state bureau of investigation as well as through the FBI for federal criminal record checks. However, you may be required to submit your fingerprints.
- You can also visit your local police department and file a request through that agency, if you know the area of the criminal activity.
- All government agencies related to law enforcement can access your criminal record without permission.
- If you hire an attorney, they also can obtain your criminal record with your consent.
- SpyFly makes it easy to search and find criminal records that are considered public record from every county and state government. Which is by far one of the easiest ways to privately search any criminal record.
Your criminal record may be checked at any time for the following reasons:
- When you apply for a new job
- When you apply to a new school
- You are entering the military
- Certain types of gun purchases
- Extra security clearance
- Fostering or adopting a child
- Immigration applications
- Some Professional or business licenses
- Registering to vote
- Anytime you consent to a background check, such as when you sign a lease or volunteer.
- Your specific career choice, for example attorneys before they apply for the state bar are subject to criminal records checks.
How do I find Mugshots online?
- Search the Mugshots Online website first.
- Enter the first name, last name, and state.
- Click “Search.”
- This will produce all the available mugshots for that name and state. You can then run a complete public records check using SpyFly’s secure search tool.
How to Perform a Background Check or Background Search
Here are the steps for performing an official background check as it relates to Employers or Landlords.
- Inform the potential employee or tenant that you will be conducting a background check. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) mandates that all applicants are notified that you are conducting a background check and that that information could be used to determine either employment or tenant status.You must have a signature on a separate page from the applicant authorizing you to conduct a background check.
- Make sure you check your state laws regarding background checks. This is very important because states differ in the laws that mandate background checks.
- Now you will need to contact an accredited Consumer Reporting Agency (CRA). The Fair Credit Report Act states that there must be a valid reason to access a person’s credit reporting.
- Research and hire your CRA. Once you find an agency to perform a background check, you must begin the process by certifying that you have followed the appropriate procedures and are compliant with FCRA. You must also certify that you are not breaking any discrimination laws based on the results of the background check.
- Request a consumer report that will contain information about criminal records, previous employers and credit history. Most CRA’s will go as far back as 7 years, and remember your state may not allow you to request information beyond 7 years.
Conducting a background search as a private citizen (this is different from a background check):
- You can start your background search online using search engines like Google, Whitepages, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Yahoo, or Bing. It is important to note that basic internet searches can take some time and you run the risk of finding false information.
- Visit local court and government locations or websites if you know the basic contact information of the person you are investigating. This can be time consuming as every website has different protocols and functions for searching up individual names.
- Keep in mind you will need to search in every state where your subject has resided.
- Search public records using SpyFly’s search tool and it will uncover information about arrests, convictions,incarcerations, active warrants, felonies, and even driving records. Any information that is considered a public record is built into SpyFly’s search tool. This is the fastest and most accurate way to search every state, county and jurisdiction.
- Hire a private investigator. This is the most expensive option and can also take some time as well. A private citizen is allowed to hire any legal service to run background checks, including criminal background checks. You will need to research the private investigator to make sure that they will use accurate and up to date tools and methods during their investigation.
What Does a Criminal Record Include?
Criminal records contain several types of records, including information on the suspected criminal themselves. The following can be found on a criminal record providing the arrested individual was convicted of a crime.
This is what can typically be found in a criminal record that has not been expunged or pardoned by a government entity:
- Arrest record, arrest warrants, and pertinent information on the arrest
- Trial information, including the conviction, sentence, parole, and probation information on the convicted party
- Inmate information, where they have been incarcerated, the entry date, bail or bond information, length of the sentence, and expected date of release
- Name, birthdate, and other personal information about the convicted criminal
- Mugshots, fingerprints, height, weight, eye color, hair color, and race
- Details of the convicted crime, such as the events that led to the arrest.
How do I Get My Driving Record Online?
A clean driving history has many money-saving benefits as well as helps you keep your insurance costs down. The easiest way is to periodically check your driving record is to have a public search profile through SpyFly.
A driving record, or also known as a motor vehicle report (MVR), is considered a public record of your driving history. Driving offenses can stay on your record for up to 3-10 years depending on your state’s driving policies. How long usually depends on the exact driving offense.
Your driving record will include the following:
- Name, sex, and address
- License number, driving classification, current status, and expiration date
- Points, DUIs, any outstanding fines, suspensions, or revocations
- Traffic violations as well as convictions
Your driving record will not include:
- Non-moving violations
- Non-driving related criminal history
Conduct a search using SpyFly’s tool for your driving record history in less than 5 minutes.
How do I opt-out my information from SpyFly searches?
SpyFly takes your privacy seriously. If you would like to remove your information from being displayed on SpyFly's search results, please send an email to [email protected]. Include your first and last name, age, current address, and previous addresses. For addresses, please provide city, state and zip code information. After we have reviewed the request, we will notify you with an email confirmation. Each person must request their own personal removal. You may not make a request on behalf of someone else and vice versa.
How do I contact member support?
If you need assistance, please contact our friendly member support team at 1-800-831-9235. We are available Monday-Sunday from 5am to 9pm PT. You can also contact us by email, at [email protected].